Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Sweetener Breakdown


With all the different types of sweeteners out there it's hard to separate the good from the bad. I am not a nutritionist or a doctor but I have done my research and listened to advice from many trainers and licensed nutritionist.

I read this article on livestrong.com, What is a Safe, Healthy Sweetener? <-----click for article link. It breaks down different options including the pros and cons of each type of sweetener. I personally prefer to use Liquid Stevia (Amazon). A little bit goes a long way! Just a few drops in my coffee is all I need to add a little flavor without turning to refined sugars. BAD!

For steel cut oats, rolled oats, and greek yogurt, I prefer Agave Nectar. It's very low on the glycemic index which means it won't cause your body to overproduce insulin causing a surge of glucose in your bloodstream. Avoid foods high on the GI because they tend to digest quickly making you hungrier more often. Agave nectar may have more calories than sugar but you only need a tiny amount becuase the flavor is a lot sweeter than sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment